The Arcanox soft-launch in the Canadian Google Play Store failed. Arcanox has been installed in Canada exactly 0 times. Even some ads didn’t help. After I thought about it, the reasons became quite obvious.
Usually you ask your friends and beta-testers to download and rate your app with 5 stars right after release. Several testers from all over the world are playing Arcanox every day, but none of them is living in Canada. Unfortunately I also have no friends in Canada. So there was no one, who installed Arcanox and wrote the first ultra important 5 star review.
There are already two first impression videos from the Arcanox open beta on Youtube!
The aspect ratio is a bit screwed up in this first video:
[youtube id=”nu5qcexvuxc” parameters=”iv_load_policy=1″]
Arcanox beta version 47 is available! The game server is back online.
All accounts have been reset. This was the final reset.
Most likely this is the last open beta version before Arcanox is released in the Canadian Google Play Store.
Read instructions how to install the apk file here.
NEW: Tutorial Checkpoints
From now on players don’t have to complete the entire tutorial in one session, but can interrupt and resume it.
CHANGED: More Card Upgrades
- Reduced minimum card level from 1 to 0
- Increased maximum card level from 5 to 10
- Reduced gold costs to upgrade cards
- Increased gold reward for selling cards
- Adjusted stat increases per level
- Upgrading a card only fills one half of a star now
Reason: Several testers complained about the high gold costs to upgrade cards. Now, each upgrade is much cheaper, while it still works as a gold sink.
The Arcanox game server will be offline for an update in around 1 hour.
All accounts will be resetted.
Most likely this will be the last open beta version.
I’ll keep you updated here and on twitter.
Arcanox will be released in the Canadian Google Play Store first. These are the 6 reasons, why Canada is the perfect country for the Arcanox soft-launch:
- Arcanox is only available in English and German right now, so I can only release it in English- or German-speaking countries
- Also I’m only able to understand English or German feedback
- Canada is a relatively small country by population. If something goes wrong there it would be bearable
- Canadians play similar like US Americans. When Canadians have problems understanding the game, US Amercians are likely to have the same problems
- There may be server performance issues I have not detected yet. A slowly growing player base will allow me to fix them without serious downtime
- Canada is quite far away from my server in Germany, so I’ll be able to detect possible latency issues
Have I missed an important argument? Is there a strong argument against realeasing in Canada first?
The Arcanox Android open beta ends in 3-5 days. All accounts will be resetted with the upcoming update, so everyone has a fair chance.
Arcanox will be released in the Canadian Google Play store first. There I’ll collect more feedback and optimize the game server for around 1-2 weeks. Maybe I’ll also update the game once more, before it will be available in other countries as well.
Upcoming versions of Arcanox will still be available on this website.